Terms and Conditions/FAQs
Q: Where are you based?
A: Freedive UK is based in Newquay, Cornwall.
By making this our base we have easy access to most of Cornwall, given Newquays central location.
It also means easy access from the rest of the UK thanks to Newquay airport, less than an hours flight from London!
Q: I dont see the date that I want. Can you offer another date?
A: We are very aware that everyones schedules are different and will always try to assist you in finding a date that suits. Our AIDA courses run twice a week, one midweek and one structured around the weekend to suit the working week. If this does not suit you, please let us know and, if given enough time to try to get more people on to the course, we will schedule another course for you.
Q: Can you offer specific 1-1 training, in order to achieve a certain goal?
A: Yes, these rates will of course be higher than the standard rate. The rate will vary according to the time your require, and how many days we will have to schedule for you. We will always strive to be reasonable though.
Q: Do I have to be physically fit to freedive?
A: You don’t have to be incredibly fit, although you must be comfortable in the water, a fairly confident swimmer, and have a basic level of fitness. Freediving is mostly a mental journey.
Q: Do i need to be able to swim to take part in the AIDA courses/ spearfishing courses ?
A: Yes. In order to register and take part in for an AIDA course/spearfishing course you must be able to swim at least 200m non stop without fins and at least 300m non stop with mask, fins and snorkel.
Q: I have a child who would like to learn. Are they allowed to join a course?
A: They must be over 16 to participate in an AIDA course or any course involving apnea.
Q: My partner/friend does not want to take part, can they come along and just watch?
A: We cant allow partners or friends to come along just to watch for free as its not fair on the other paying clients. They may be able to come to the location though, but will be asked to give us some ‘room’ when tuition starts. Sometimes partners/friends may be interested in taking part in elements of the course for a short course fee.
Q: Can I fail the courses?
A: You can fail to meet the requirements for the AIDA courses, although you will always be given the best chance to pass. If you do fail, you can come back another day and complete the elements you failed the first time at minimal cost, only the cost of a short course… £50. The non-AIDA courses cannot be failed.
Q: What do i need to bring?
A: If you have any freediving gear, feel free to bring it along, but you don’t have to as we will supply it all. We recommend a winter wetsuit, regardless of the time of year . Bring some swimming gear, sunhat, waterproof jacket, shoes you don’t mind getting wet, a small backpack or bag for the boat, towels, sunscreen, perhaps a camera. Remember to bring all the paperwork we send to you prior to your course. This will include a self certifying health declaration, waiver, registration form and course notes.
We will supply water and light refreshments/lunches where appropriate. If you have dietary requirements please inform us before hand and we will try to accommodate.
Q:I used to scuba dive but was declared unfit to dive. Can i Freedive?
A: Contact us, but the answer could be yes. Freediving is more self regulated than Scuba. The only equipment that can fail is ‘you’, so as long as you dont have serious health condition then you will probably be ok. Call us though!
Q: Is there anything dangerous in the seas around cornwall which i should be scared of?
A: No. Cornwall has abundant sealife, and on a sunny day with good visibility you could think you were in the Caribbean.
Q: What happens if its terrible weather, will it be cancelled?
A: Remember that the geography of the coastline in Cornwall means that there is more often than not a sheltered cove we can use, although we probably wouldn’t use the boat and all the deep water training can be done in a local quarry. It normally has to be southerly winds of over gale force to cause a problem We have yet to have to cancel a course. If it does need to be cancelled we will reschedule for free or refund the day/portion of the day, which has had to be cancelled. However we cannot be held responsible for any additional costs you may have incurred through accommodation, transport etc.
Q: What is included on the courses?
A: All equipment , boat fees, snacks and water, qualifications (AIDA and/or FreediveUK cert), pool use, course notes.
Q: Do you offer group discounts?
A: Variable discounts on AIDA courses and weekend trips. We also run a forces, student and emergency services discount, just ask for more details.
Q: I’m thinking about joining you on a FreediveUK Holiday, what T&C’s apply? A: The Terms & Conditions for a FreediveUK Holiday are outlined below, please read them thoroughly before paying your deposit
Q: Its a couple of days before the course is due to start but something serious has happened which means i cannot attend, can i have a refund?
A: Unfortunately not. By booking the course you are agreeing to attend on that day, just as we are agreeing to teach you on that day. By not attending there will be an empty space on that course. Believe it or not we probably get up to a dozen last minute cancellations each season, ranging from serious illness to bereavement and as much as we sympathize you can see how this would cost us dearly if we refunded all cancellations. We can however put you on a future course, something that is very rare in the industry, but we cannot pre-book this for you. This means we will give you a few days notice of any course which has a vacant space, sometimes 24hrs, and you can choose to attend or not. We cannot pre-book this space as it will remove a another paid space from the schedule and as we have maximum numbers it will directly cost us the value of that space, essentially we will have given you 2 courses for the price of one (although it wont feel like that to you) but thats the reality of the situation. If we were to pre-book all cancellations we could end up with an entire course of canceled students, which would cost us a huge amount of money to put on.
Basic Terms and Conditions
Cancellations: If cancelled over 1 month from the course start date a 50% refund will be given (this is to cover the potential loss of sales due to the reserved space), or a free transfer to another date will be given with no loss of ‘deposit’. If cancelled within 1 month of the start date a 100% cancellation fee will be charged (in exceptional circumstances we can move the date). There can be no refunds for anyone who decides not to complete a course whilst on the course. Any lost paypal fee’s due to cancellation and refund are the responsibility of the student.
Deposits: All deposits are non-refundable. By choosing to place deposit you are agreeing to commit to the course/holiday, and we will have changed our sales schedule because of that. Sometimes we may have already used that deposit to pay for some element of your training.
Moving dates (Illness, bereavement, transport, changed your mind etc): If you need to move your course within a month of the course start date, and you do not want to accept the cancellation policy, we will endeavor to move your dates free of charge. This will be at our discretion and on our terms. We will not be able to give you a date in advance, it may be 48hrs before, as we will have already incurred costs for the date you could not attend and by booking you a course date ahead of time we will loose a paid space on that course. We may not be able to move the date and if we do it may not be during the current season.
FreediveUK Holiday Terms and Conditions
THE HOLIDAY & SERVICES
- FreediveUK will endeavour to provide all services as specified in the holiday description but reserve the right to make minor changes that may be required due to unforeseen circumstances that may arise after the time of booking
- FreediveUK are not responsible for anything that is not outlined in the holiday description
- All training will be provided by a certified AIDA instructor, in the event of our instructor being unable to teach on the holiday another certified AIDA instructor will be provided in their place
- All students will be required to complete a liability release form and medical form as issued by our governing body AIDA
PAYMENT & CANCELLATIONS
- A non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place on the holiday
- Full Payment is required 6 weeks before the start of the holiday. If this payment is not received FreediveUK are within their rights to cancel your place on the holiday and retain any moneys already received
- Bookings made within 6 weeks of departure must be paid in full at the time of booking
- Cancellations made by you once full payment has been received are non-refundable
- Cancellations made by FreediveUK of any portion of the holiday provided by FreediveUK as specified in the holiday description will be refunded or an alternative provided
- Any cancellations or delays incurred through flights or transport outside of the FreediveUk holiday description are not the responsibility of FreediveUK and no money will be refunded by FreediveUK for days missed on the holiday or additional costs incurred by yourself
- If FreediveUK have to cancel the holiday then all money they have received from yourself will be refunded. This does not include any moneys spent outside of those paid to FreediveUK
- No refund or compensation is payable by FreediveUK for any unused accommodation, freediving, services or features provided during the holiday.
- Clients, who do not complete a Freediving course for any reason whatsoever, cannot be refunded for a portion or the remainder of the Freediving course.
- Clients who wish to cancel a course, after choosing a specific date, despite weather and condition warnings from FreediveUK cannot get a refund. They may be able to have their course moved.
RISK & LIABILITY
- All activities are undertaken at your own risk, this includes Freediving, transport and excursions. All activities as outlined in the holiday description must be covered by your own travel insurance.
- FreediveUK are not responsible for any activities you undertake outside of the holiday description or without the supervision of a FreediveUK Instructor
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate insurance cover. It is a condition of booking your holiday that you have taken out adequate insurance against such risks as medical costs, personal accident risks, personal liability and legal expenses. We also recommend insurance that includes cover for cancellation and loss off baggage.
- FreediveUK will hold the relevant dive insurance to teach students as outlined by the BFA
- FreediveUK accepts no responsibility for and shall not be liable and will pay no compensation in respect of any loss or damage or alterations, delays or changes arising from, whether directly or indirectly, unusual and unforeseeable circumstances or threats of these beyond its control, such as war, or threat of war, riot, civil strife, industrial disputes including air traffic control disputes, terrorist activity, political unrest, change in government regulations, natural and nuclear disaster, floods, fire and adverse weather conditions, technical problems with transport, closure or congestion of airports or ports.
- FreediveUK are not responsible for any accident or injury incurred due to your own negligence or by a client not adhering to any of FreediveUK instructions
- FreediveUK reserve the right to refuse students further tuition or refuse them the right to participate in further activities if the instructor believes they are acting in a way that is reckless and puts them in danger of harming themselves or other students
- Your contract with the Company is governed by the laws of England and Wales and is subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Freedive UK and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Freedive UK. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, Freedive UK takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
This liability release is representative and relevant for all activities operated by Freedive UK, anyone participating in any activity which Freedive UK run will be required to sign a release. Anyone using the information contained on this website for personal instructional purposes must consider this release as applying to themselves regardless of the acquisition of a signatory or not. From henceforth the reader shall be referred to in the first person narrative.
I do hereby declare that I am aware that the activities operated by Freedive UK have inherent risks, which may result in serious injury or death. I still choose to participate in the activities with Freedive UK.
I understand and agree that neither my instructor nor AIDA International, nor any of their respective employees, officers, agents, contractors or assigns (herein after referred to as the “Released Parties”) may be held liable or responsible in any way for any injury, death or other damages to me, my family, estate, heirs or assigns that may occur as a result of my participation in activies with AIDA International, Freedive UK or as a result of the negligence of any party, including the Released Parties whether passive or active.
I hereby personally assume all risks of the experience, whether foreseen or unforeseen, that may befall me while I am participating in any activity with Freedive UK.
In consideration of Freedive UK allowing me to participate in any activity, I hereby personally assume all risks of the experience, whether foreseen or unforeseen, that may befall me while I am under the instruction of Freedive UK.
I declare that I am in good mental and physical fitness for freediving and that I am not under the influence of alcohol, nor am I under the influence of any drugs that are contraindicatory to taking part in any of the activities offered. I declare that if requested as a result of completion of the AIDA Medical Statement, I have seen a physician and have approval to take part in any activity offered by Freedive UK.
I further declare that I am of lawful age and legally competent to agree to this liability release.
By booking a course or trip on this website I am agreeing to the terms laid out in this waiver.
I understand the terms herein are contractual and not a mere recital, and that I have agreed to this document as my own free act and with the knowledge that I hereby agree to waive my legal rights. I further agree that if any provision of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable or invalid that provision shall be severed from this Agreement. The remainder of this Agreement will then be construed as though the unenforceable provision had never been contained therein.